Saturday, November 6, 2010

Single Speeding Off Road


I want to talk about The Surly Karate Monkey Single Speed 29er that I have been riding for the last six months. This bike is a beast. Chris King Hubs, Mavic Wheels, the bike it the real deal for sure.  The simplicity of the single speed is bliss. It's full rigid so it beats you up a bit in the rocks and stuff but it climes like a Billy Goat. If you ever want to get real strong on the bike this is how ya do it... let me tell ya! Ridding a single speed mountain bike is really not as hard as everyone thinks. You get funny looks for sure and the occasional " hey that guys riding a single speed " as you pass them on the tight technical single track. It's all about forward momentum and " Flow " . When you master the art of riding a single speed on a short steep clime or setting into pace on a long stone flat section there is nothing like it. The pinnacle for the seasoned cyclist I would say. Whats even more awesome is getting back on the road bike after riding the SS at Betzwood and the Wiss all summer. That's when you discover what it has done for you. I just met Matt Budd at a bicycle convention in Philly last weekend. Matt is a frame builder building some of ( in my opinion ) the sickest stuff. His favorite thing  right now is building up SS Cross bikes. I want one. I'm thinking of taking a trip up to see him in Boston to visit his shop. We have been talking about possibly offering his frames at the shop. I would be the only shop to offer his frames. Check him out http://www.buddbikes.com/ Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment